Cant start

Avallix
So, I read a bunch of the other help requests and didn't find the answer that I was looking for.

When I double click Simbrain.jar nothing happens except a blip with the words simbrain on it. if I run the program through cmd as directed in the README.txt I get the error "could not find or load main class = jar". I already have java jdk..1.8.0_111. Any ideas?

-P.S. \
I also posted this on the GitHub place.

Re: Cant start

jyoshimi
Administrator
Hi there I responded over at github.   We can have the discussion there.

Re: Cant start

Marco
I have the same problem, but I cannot find your reply on github. Can you please reply also here? thank you very much

Re: Cant start

jyoshimi
Administrator
Hi there,

A good workaround on this is to open up a terminal, go to where the Simbrain.jar is, and enter the command

java -jar Simbrain.jar

If that doesn't work or you need more details on that let me know.

- Jeff

Re: Cant start

Leerdamer
Hi.  I am having this same problem and would like to try your suggested workaround.  However I am totally new to Java and have no idea how to "open up a terminal".
Thanks in advance for your help

Re: Cant start

jyoshimi
Administrator
Hi there.  Looks like I missed the notification. Arg!

For mac here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw7Nd67_aFw

For pc it will be the powershell or cmd.exe. Here is a video I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBBWVgE0ewk

Basically just google things like "command line" or "command prompt" together with your system type.

Re: Cant start

Leerdamer
Hey, no worries.  It is you doing me the favour!
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide the information for me.  I will give it a go later today!
Cheers
LAN

Re: Cant start

LAN
I have the same difficulty to de-compress the downloaded file. Could you put both the "compressed" and "un-compressed"  download files on the website. Thanks!

Re: Cant start

jyoshimi
Administrator
Hi there.  I can't see an easy way to do that. There are hundreds of files in Simbrain, and if I uploaded the raw uncompressed directory you'd have to download all the hundreds of separate files and re-assemble them. I could upload a .tar file but then you' still have to unpack it.

Maybe step me through what isn't working at your end?

Re: Cant start

jyoshimi
Administrator
Sometimes my students double click on the compressed file and (on PC for example) this takes them to a misleading dialog that is a preview of what's in the zip file. You can't run Simbrain from there.

What you have to do is right click and then extract the contents of the file, then run from extracted folder.

I looked around and couldn't find many simple tutorials, but maybe this will do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9hpiyzOOTY

I'm not sure if this is the problem you are running in to but it might be