Of Mice and Men ...

Jon

Of Mice and Men ...

Jon
... Or, when is a mouse not a mouse?

I thought the following might amuse you.

I was starting to play with Simbrain, using it as a tool to teach myself about Neural Networks.  I loaded up a few workspaces, pressed Play, and all was well.  Then I loaded "3ObjectDetector".  Its instructions state:

>>"Simply run the simulation (pressing the play button at the top) and move the mouse to the different objects. Observe that the correct output node is activated when the mouse is near a given object."

Well, I moved the mouse around, near to & far from the objects, but nothing was happening, no nodes were changing value.  Tried looking at the synapses etc., all seemed well, yet no output.  Went off driving, with intention of composing a post here upon return, to verify that it should be working in my Linux environment...

...when I suddenly thought "Could it be that I am moving the wrong mouse?!"...

I was moving my mouse _pointer_, not dragging the mouse _icon_!  :)  For the newbie/uninitiated like me, the instructions really need to make clear when you are talking about your "animal" mouse versus the "virtual" mouse :)

I should like to say that Simbrain looks like a very impressive piece of software!  Given the (relative lack of) posts here, is it still maintained/used/posts here answered?

Re: Of Mice and Men ...

jyoshimi
Administrator
Haha this is great Jon!  I literally LOL'd on this one.   Thanks for the feedback.    I just updated the repository so better instructions will come in the next release

https://github.com/simbrain/simbrain/commit/959643cad7cfedee0e7a96b79569e139ef969123

Simbrain has had a pretty small user base for much of its history, but it seems to be picking up with the last release.   And some very cool new stuff is coming too!

- Jeff